bgb

bgb

5.19.2016

the classic {viola davis}







i am so very proud of viola davis.

When I tell my daughter stories at night, inevitably, a few things happen. Number one, I use my imagination, I always start with life and then I build from there. And then the other thing that happens is she always says “Mommy… Can you put me in the story?” So, I’d like to thank Paul Lee, Shonda Rhimes, Betsy Beers, Bill D’Elia and Peter Nowalk, for thinking that a sexualized, messy, mysterious woman could be a 49 year old dark-skinned African American woman who looks like me. 

"Thank you to all the people who love me exactly how God made me."

Viola Davis,SAG Awards 2015.

I think that beauty is subjective. I’ve heard that statement [less classically beautiful] my entire life. Being a dark-skinned black woman, you heard it from the womb. And ‘classically not beautiful’ is a fancy term for saying ugly. And denouncing you. And erasing you. Now…it worked when I was younger. It no longer works for me now. It’s about teaching a culture how to treat you. Because at the end of the day, you define you.

No comments:

Post a Comment